Alaska Music Educator / Music Advocate of the Year 2016-17
AMEA is seeking nominations from the general membership for Music Educator and Music Advocate of the Year Awards. These awards were instituted in 1985 by the AMEA, to honor highly regarded professional leaders in music education in Alaska.
Do you know of someone who would be a good candidate? When making your nomination, please consider that the qualities of an outstanding Alaska Music Educator or Advocate may include one or more of the following:
1. The nominee has contributed to the growth of music education in Alaska.
2. The nominee has made a significant difference in the lives of students.
3. The nominee for Educator of the Year is a current member of AMEA/NAfME, or if retired, was a member in good standing previous to retirement.
4. The nominee may have performed leadership roles in various musical professional organizations.
5. The nominee has completed at least five years of teaching or supervision of music in public, private, or collegiate institutions.
6. The nominee for Music Advocate may be an organization that has shown dedication of support and the promotion of music education within our schools.
Each award is limited to a maximum of three recipients per year, to include at least one person presently teaching. Current officers and board members are eligible to be nominated for either of the awards, but must remove themselves from any action concerning the selection of recipients, and shall not cast a vote.
Nominations will close at midnight on Saturday, October 1st, 2016. The AMEA Board will review the nominations and vote on the candidates. Announcement of the recipients will be made at the 2016 ASAA All State Music Concert in Anchorage, November 19, 2016.
If your nominee is selected, you will be asked to provide a more detailed biography and a photo for publication in the AMEA Journal and/or the AMEA Facebook Page and website.
To submit a nomination, click here:
The Alaska Music Educators Association is the local affiliate of NAfME, the National Association for Music Education. We are a dedicated group of concerned and involved music teachers, working to positively impact the direction of music education to the benefit of students across the State of Alaska.
Membership in the Alaska Music Educators Association is included with your paid membership to NAfME. As a member of AMEA, you can personally affect what is happening in music education. We need you to become active in AMEA!